Like any other commitment a person makes, careful consideration and understanding is required. There are things that every renter should know before they rent a home or apartment.
- A lease is a binding, legal document.
- Understand the lease before signing and ask questions.
- Get the complete agreement in writing instead of verbal statements.
- Tenants have rights too and they vary depending on the state and city.
- Tenants need renter’s insurance for their personal belongings and liability.
- The landlord is responsible for a habitable and safe environment and should typically pay for repairs due to normal wear and tear.
- Do a walk-through of the property before signing a lease.
- Don’t withhold the rent to settle a disagreement with landlord.
- The landlord must return your deposit or tell you why it is being held in a reasonable time.
- It may cost you considerably less to own the home than to rent.
Want to investigate home buying further? Call The Sam Team Buyer Agents at 832-200-5656 today, or email SamF@Remax.net. We'll send your our Buyer Information Package right away!