Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The best feature of my home is the lushly landscaped lot . . . What's yours?

All homes are different - what do you like best?


This is a forum blog today . . . after 2 days of Memorial Partying Bliss, I realize just how much I love love love my back yard!  Over 13 years ago, I picked this lot because it is one of only 4 houses on this cul-de-sac, right across the street from the 2 lakes with waterfall and fountains.  The views from the front are beautiful!

But because of the cul-de-sac, my lot is "pie-shaped," with a small front yard but a huge (nearly 1/2 acre) back yard.  I have spent (to date) nearly $100,000 on decks, patio covers, pool (and its subsequent remodeling) and landscaping (with automatic sprinklers) and it has been well worth it.  Even though I cuss those 13 palm trees every year when I have to trim them, they're beautiful.  I have flowers galore, and it is stunningly beautiful.

Parties under the new covered patio (complete with sound system) are remarkable.  Later this week,
Smoked chicken on the Traeger
fans and lights are to be installed under the cover to give it a more festive look.  I need new patio furniture, but the old stuff will have to do for another year or two . . . I've spent the mother lode on the pool remodel!  (And the Traeger smoker, but SOOOO worth it!)

And right now, as a Realtor, I have two transactions where buyers are stalling over $1,000-$3,000.  They are so caught up in the "numbers" of the negotiations that they can't start loving their home.  And probably their "trained buyer agent" is only numbers-oriented, too.  But buying and owning a home is much more than the numbers!  What is it about that home that moves you?  Get with it . . .

So . . . what's your favorite feature?  Is it your kitchen?  Entertainment area?  Den?  What makes you love love love your home?

Does it make you want to live there until you can no longer walk, and they find you crouched alone in the corner eating cat food?  That's my vision . . . I can see it now.  Kids, leave me here as for as long as physically possible . . .

Yes, I love my home.  Great place.  My castle.  Tell me about yours . . . help me gain the insights into why people love their homes, because everyone is different.  And HGTV can't explain the unique, personal intrinsic values that everyone has in their own abode.

MORAL:  Buy a home and choose it for what you love.  As long as it's in your pre-approved budget, don't get caught up in the numbers game . . . get what you want!  Money is a strange commodity, no matter how much you have or don't have, you always get more.

OK.....your turn.  What moves YOU in your home?  Did you quibble over the last few $$$???

No comments:

Post a Comment