Thursday, January 15, 2015

Sometimes, you have to burn a bridge.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED IN 40 YEARS IN REAL ESTATE, LAST INSTALMENT!


You're in the real estate to build and maintain long-term relationships with lots of people.  Your job is to be the "go to" person for real estate for as many of your friends, family and their networks as you can possibly infiltrate.

And long-term relationships are the best.  And like a marriage, there are good times and bad times, and you learn to take one with the other.  Often times, you find yourself in the role of "peacemaker" between husband and wife, family members, other agents, buyers and sellers, and many others that creep up on you.  In fact, you are paid in direct proportion to the amount of problems you can solve!

So what I've learned is that it's always best to keep everyone communicating and try to keep your own emotions in check so as not to burn bridges.

But have you ever encountered someone who can't be helped?  I mean, the more you try, the less interested they become?  In fact, many become downright nasty?  Fortunately, this is the exception rather than the rule and this ugly occurrence rears its had rarely.  But when it does, it's best to escape with everyone (including and especially yourself) unscathed, if you can.

But sometimes you can't.  It's like playing cards with Kenny Rogers -- "you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run."  Refer the needy to the Wizard of Oz, and move on.  Drop 'em.  Burn the bridge.  As my Spanish-speaking friends say, "muchos pescados en la mar."  Go get someone nice, friendly, who wants to work with you.  Keep your chin up!  You're what makes it all worthwhile!

You're what make it all worthwhile for me!  Thanks for reading this short blog series about my 40 years.  As a learning-based person, I try to learn something new every day . . . and usually do.  Anytime I feel like "I've seen it all," I see something else!  I love this world!  And I love the real estate business!  -Sam Ferreri, RE/MAX Top Realty

No comments:

Post a Comment